While I do not have a sweet tooth I know that the best dishes will be those that have perfectly-infused contrasting tastes and flavors. I think it is that contrast that makes your mouth water or make you close your eyes. The most basic I think is sweet and salty. Some people say they don’t get it but I think they’d give in soon enough.
- bacon and golden waffles with syrup
- Krispy Kreme burger
- Jollibee’s Amazing Aloha, Smokey’s hotdog with pineapple tidbits, Hawaiian pizzas
- caramel popcorn
Some may say that these are all fast food and desserts. Or maybe people will say it only works for western dishes but wait and see.
- salted egg on bibingka(ricecake)
- champorado(chocolate porridge) with tuyo(dried fish)
- dinuguan(blood stew) with puto(ricecake)
- salt over tsokolate-eh (hot chocolate)
- pan de sal with butter dipped in coffee
Of course people will always have their favorites. For instance I like enjoying a cup of hot sweet light coffee over rice paired with smoked fish and scrambled egg.
And finally the reason why I wrote this list of sweet and salty happy endings is no less than the sinful bacon dipped in chocolate with nuts and pepper (Wicked by Cravings). At 75 pesos for 6 bite-sized pieces, I am far from complaining. It’s everything life should be.