Healthy, cooks fast and easy, vegetables would always have a place on the grill. They go well with other items or they can be mixed with salads and pastas for that char-grilled flavor that you can never replicate. Some simply oil the grill and put the skewered vegetables on top. Others would prefer to have basting sauces so that the veggie kebabs would be tastier. Again, basting sauces will dictate on the theme so prepare it beforehand. There are so many vegetables that are perfect for grilling but as I have to narrow it down to five, I would have to stick with categorizing them into themes.
- onions/tomatoes -classic items to be grilled!
- eggplant/capsicums/carrot/zucchini/onions/tomatoes -these are wonderful with salads most especially with Greek, Turkish, Italian flavors
- corn/potatoes – American barbecues can’t happen without baked potatoes and grilled corn
- pineapple/banana/sweet potatoes – this more of Brazilian-inspired barbecue, but it can also lean towards Filipino and Thai
- tofu/cheese/chili/mushrooms – Tofu has a good texture and can easily blend with other flavors. Cheeses are great for grilling but this may require bigger chunks or they may go to waste. Different kinds of chili will ultimately change your grilling experience. Start with something basic such as jalapeno then go on with green chili before trying out hotter ones.
*check out other items to be grilled and cheat sheets for grilling